Skip To Content

Who Can Vote


A person is entitled to be an elector at an election held in a local municipality (unless prohibited by this MEA or any other Act) if, on Voting Day (Monday, October 24, 2022), they:

  • are a Canadian citizen,
  • are at least 18 years old,
  • Reside in the local municipality, or is the owner or tenant of land in the local municipality, or the spouse of such a person; and
  • are not prohibited from voting under any law.


A person's residence is the permanent lodging place to which, whenever absent, they intend to return.

The following rules apply in determining a person's residence:

  1. A person may only have one residence at a time;
  2. The place where a person's family resides is also their residence, unless they move elsewhere with the intention of changing their permanent lodging place;
  3. If a person has no other permanent lodging place, the place where they occupy a room or part of a room as a regular lodger to which they habitually returns is their residence.

  Resident Elector (Voter)

A resident elector is where a person lives, and is eligible to vote in that municipality's election. A person is only allowed to have one residence.

Non-Resident Elector (Seasonal Resident)

If a person lives in one municipality, but owns or rents property in another municipality, then they are a non-resident elector and able to vote in that municipality's election.

Spouse of Non-Resident Elector

If a person lives in one municipality, and qualifies as a spouse of a non-resident elector, then they are able to vote in that municipality's election.

  Homeless Persons

Persons without a permanent residence may also qualify to be added to the Voters' List during the revision period by submitting an application to the Clerk. If a person has no permanent residence or lodging place, the following rules apply in determining his or her residence:

  1. The place to which the person most frequently returned to sleep or eat during the five weeks preceding the determination is their residence.
  2. If the person returns with equal frequency to one place to sleep and to another to eat, the place to which they return to sleep is their residence.
  3. Multiple returns to the same place during a single day.
  4. A person's affidavit regarding the places to which they returned to eat or sleep during a given time period is conclusive, in the absence of evidence to the contrary.


A person may have residences in two local municipalities at the same time if the person lives in one of the local municipalities in order to attend an education institution, but not with the intention of changing their permanent lodging place, and the person's permanent lodging place is in the other local municipality.

This means that students are able to vote in the municipality where they attend school and also in the municipality where they live.

  Electoral Status for School Boards

The English Public School Board is the default for a voter unless they are qualified to be a separate or French school board supporter.

'Supporter' means which school board the school portion of the property taxes goes to.

Your status for school board election purposes is shown on the Voters' List. A voter may apply to correct their school board support as noted on the  Voters' List during the revision period (Thursday, September 1, 2022 up to and including Voting Day, Monday October 24, 2022). Qualifications and definitions of the categories of school electors are found in the Education Act and the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms:

  • Voters must be Roman Catholic and be otherwise qualified as electors to be separate school electors. Voters must have French Language Education Rights to be supporters for French language school board.
  • Non-resident owners or tenants, or spouses of owners or tenants of commercially and industrially assessed lands are not eligible to vote for school board purposes.


  Proxy Voting

If you are an eligible elector, you may appoint another person to vote on your behalf. This person is known as a “Proxy” voter. This person must be a qualified elector and someone you trust (the voters' list will be checked for this purpose). You cannot appoint more than one voting proxy or act as a voting proxy for more than one other person. However, this restriction does not apply if the proxy and the other person are spouses or siblings of each other, parent and child, or grandparent and grandchild.

You may obtain a Form 3 - Appointment of Voting Proxy by calling 705-567-9361 ext. 238 during regular business hours, Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. up until October 24 at 5:00 p.m.

Box A on the form will be completed at the time you obtain the proxy certificate from the Municipal Clerk. The person you appoint as a proxy must then bring in the proxy certificate with your signature on it, show proof of their identity, and have it certified by the Municipal Clerk at Town Hall.

Please note that Election Officials at the voting station will not accept uncertified, faxed or photocopied proxy certificates at the voting place.

The following rules apply to the issuance of Proxy Certificates:

  • Only original signatures will be accepted on the proxy forms.
  • The name of the person appointed as the voting proxy must be filled in on the form at the time it is signed by the elector who is appointing the proxy.
  • The proxy certificate must be completed at the Office of the Municipal Clerk where the elector appointed will take the declaration.
  • The proxy certificate will be officially certified by the Municipal Clerk or designate.
  • The Register of Proxy Appointments will be completed at the time when the form is brought to the Office of the Municipal Clerk - The proxy certificate is a public document and may be inspected by any person during the election process.
  • The appointment does not remain in effect after Voting Day.