Closed Municipal Meetings Investigator Services

Section 239.1 of the Municipal Act, 2001 as amended permits a person to request an investigation of whether a municipality or local board has complied with section 239 of the Municipal Act or a procedure by-law under subsection 238 (2) of the Act in respect of a meeting or part of a meeting that was closed to the public.

The Town of Kirkland Lake has appointed Rick Emms as a Municipal Closed Session Investigator and has authorized him to conduct investigations upon receipt of a complaint in respect of meetings or parts of meetings that are closed to the public.

The Investigator will determine compliance with the Act or the Municipal procedure by-law and will report on the results of such investigations.


Members of the public, including corporations, may submit complaints to the Investigator relating to compliance with the Act or the Municipal Procedure By-law for meetings or part of meetings that are closed to the public. All complaints will be treated as confidential at all times.

Complaints may be submitted on the established Complaint Form or via written request. The Complaint Form may be downloaded from the Municipal website or can be obtained from the Clerk’s Department, together with an envelope addressed to the Investigator which the Municipality has appointed under Section 239 of the Act. All complaints must contain the following information:

  1. Name of Municipality
  2. Complainant’s name, mailing address, telephone number and e-mail address (if applicable)
  3. Date of Closed Meeting under consideration
  4. Nature and Background of the particular occurrence
  5. Any activities undertaken (if any) to resolve the concern
  6. Any other relevant information
  7. Original signature
  8. A certified cheque or money order made payable to the Town of Kirkland Lake for $50.00. The complainant will be reimbursed the $50.00 if the investigator finds that the item should have been addressed in a public meeting.

Complaints may be submitted to:

  1. By mail directly to:
    Rick Emms
    340 Lakeshore Drive #706
    North Bay, ON   P1A 3N7
    • OR
  2. By delivery to the Municipal Clerk in a sealed envelope clearly identified as a Complaint under Section 239 of the Act.

Department Links