If you feel strongly about a public issue or a local concern, Kirkland Lake Town Council encourages you to share your information and thoughts with them.

Because many issues can be resolved at the staff level, it is recommended that citizens discuss their concerns with Town of Kirkland Lake staff prior to appearing before Council. Staff can provide you with valuable background information on the issue in question, and/or recommend appropriate next steps that can remove the need to go to Council, or help set the stage for a meaningful and constructive interview with Council. For information on whom to speak to, please contact the Clerk’s Office at 705-567-9361.

Requesting an Appearance Before Council

If you wish to appear before Council, please submit the following form along with any supporting documentation to the Clerk’s Office. Be sure to include your preferred date of appearance, and a summary of your concerns. Forms may be submitted electronically or printed and mailed to:

Jo Ann Ducharme
Department of Corporate Services

Corporation of the Town of Kirkland Lake
PO Box 1757
3 Kirkland Street
Kirkland Lake, Ontario, P2N 3P4
Tel: 705-567-9361 ext. 238
Fax: 705-567-3535
Email: clerk@tkl.ca

Your form must be received by the Clerk’s Office no later than the Tuesday prior to the Council meeting date you wish to attend. This gives the Clerk sufficient time to review your request, advise the Mayor and Council and, if necessary conduct background research into the issue. The Clerk will notify you as to which date you are invited to address Council. If you have an issue of importance, but you don't feel the need to speak in front of Council, you may address a letter to the Clerk or one of your Council Members. All letters are addressed in a timely manner.

Appearing Before Council

Public delegations are always the first item on the Council agenda. The Mayor or Acting Mayor will invite delegations to the Council table to speak on their issues. Delegation presentations are usually 10 minutes in duration. During the presentation, Mayor and Council may ask questions of the delegation, as well as Town staff. Upon closure of the discussion, Council may make a decision or refer the item to the appropriate department for further input or advice.


Council normally takes some time to review items before deciding what action to take on an issue. If you would like clarification on an issue discussed or a decision made or the status of the decision, please contact the Clerk’s Office. They will be able to provide the necessary information.

Back ArrowGo Back to Previous Page